About the Program
The success of Whole Planet Foundation to alleviate global poverty is due in large part to Whole Foods Market Team Member involvement. In the spirit of sharing the Foundation in a deeper way, the Whole Foods Market Team Member Volunteer Program was launched in 2007, providing in-country experiences to over 850 WFM Team Members where they:
- learned about the products suppliers source for sale in WFM stores
experienced the culture and history of another community
learned about the work of Whole Planet Foundation and experienced the transformative power of microcredit, meeting microfinance staff and clients whose loans are funded by WPF
- provided community service in, with and for the community
- and returned to share their experiences with their fellow Team Members and WFM shoppers
Whole Foods Market created the Team Member Volunteer Program to give Team Members the opportunity to witness the transformative power of microcredit in person and provide community service. In 2019, 62 Team Members volunteered in Guatemala, India, Nepal, Paraguay, and Togo. The in-person program was postponed in 2020 due to COVID-19. We are excited to offer the virtual option in 2021!
Apply for the 2021 Virtual Program
Due to 2021 travel restrictions, we are excited to announce the 2021 Whole Foods Market Team Member Virtual Volunteer Program! Please take this amazing opportunity to deepen your understanding of the work that Whole Planet Foundation is funding in 77 countries, including 26 communities in the United States.
(WFM Team Members Only)
JOIN THE WPF COMMUNITY
or be an Ambassador
The 2021 WFM Team Member Virtual Volunteer Program will include these elements:
- Insight into the country’s culture and history.
- Information about where and how product for sale in WFM stores is sourced there, and the companies who source them.
- Experience with WPF’s microlending partner and clients through stories/virtual visits.
- Community service opportunities related to the country destination and ways to get involved.
Even though we can't meet clients in Guatemala like these Team Members did in 2019, join us online to hear client stories and learn more about our partners in our virtual program.
2021 Highlights and Program Criteria:
- The program is for Whole Foods Market Team Members.
- The 6 country virtual destinations offered are Costa Rica, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, India and Kenya.
- The application is online and open April 2-30.
- Team Members commit to 6 hours of learning/community service, if selected to participate, when they apply: 4 hours paid, 2 hours voluntary.
- Each participant selected attends one country session, determined by their top 3 destinations indicated in the application.
- Regions will select participants and announce participants by May 31.
- Participation will occur sometime between July and October, 2021.
- If accepted to the program, participant will participate in 4 hours paid learning on the clock and 2 hours of unpaid community service.
- I hour online prework training about Whole Planet Foundation and the country destination (paid time)
- 3 hour online learning event about one country destination (paid time)
- 2 hours voluntary community service with the featured community service partner and/or a local organization that addresses similar issues (unpaid time)
- Additional information will be shared which can be accessed off the clock.
Videos from Previous Team Member Volunteer Programs
Watch: Maile's Trip to India
Video Credit: Angus Cann/Whole Foods Market
“We visited rural farming microcredit clients. One of the most amazing stories was a group of farmers who met each other through the microcredit program. Though they'd lived in the same community and worked near each other for many years, they had never helped each other before. Now that they are part of the same group of microcredit clients, they support each other -- from providing advice, to even pitching in with farming tasks. I thought this was an amazing example of how microcredit can not only empower individuals and families, but also can create and foster community."
"I learned so much about Alaffia and how as a company, they give back in so many ways to the people of Togo. It was amazing to be able to see the vibrant, beautiful women who put their hearts into making the shea butter products. Alaffia sources fair trade certified shea nuts and also is a Fair for Life fair trade certified company, which ensures their employees are paid a fair living wage. It is Alaffia's mission to give back to their community, and they do that and more with the Alaffia Foundation. I am in awe of all the amazing ways that Alaffia gives back to those in Togo and I am so grateful to have witnessed it firsthand."
This could be YOU!
Field Notes from ParaguayJanuary 25, 2018
Building a Classroom in ColombiaMarch 28, 2016
Cacao: The Journey from Pod to NibMarch 11, 2016
Traditional Medicinals and the Power of PartnershipsMarch 8, 2016
2019 Impact Reports
Over 850 Whole Foods Market Team Members have volunteered in Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Nepal, Paraguay, Peru, South Africa, Thailand, Togo, and the United States since 2007!
2018 Impact Reports
2017 Impact Reports
2016 Impact Reports
Watch: J'aime's Volunteer Experience in India
Video Credit: Angus Cann/Whole Foods Market